If you don’t know, you better ask somebody.
Nah, I’ll let you in on the most delicious street food secret in the world.
Doubles are a simple, sweet and spicy sandwich made in Trinidad (and Little Trinidad aka Nostrand Ave in Brooklyn). They are vegetarian and are made up of three basic parts:
1) Two fried quick breads, called bara
2) Filled with curried chick peas/garbanzo beans, called channa (from the Hindi/Bhojpuri word “chanaa”)
3) Topped with a variety of sauces/chutneys, most commonly tamarind sauce
The aroma makes you think of sweet cinnamon churros, the shape can resemble either a sandwich or a burrito, and the taste is most similar to samosa. Even that doesn’t do it justice.
There are about 18 or 19 places in NYC that sell doubles, most of which are located in Brooklyn. I’ve tried three, but I plan to try all of them. Most locations make the bread first thing in the morning and usually sell out by the afternoon. At least that’s the case at almost all of the Brooklyn locations. If you want to try these in New York, I suggest you get there between open at 12pm.
So get googling, find a Trinidadian or West Indian joint near you and try one. You’ll be glad you did.
(picture of Trinidad Golden Palace burrito-style doubles from alwayshungryny.com; yes, this was my dinner tonight)
- stopbysometime reblogged this from jebonell
- alluringingenuity likes this
- kymanijoe21 reblogged this from officiallyobsessed and added:
- ainoaida reblogged this from officiallyobsessed and added:
- d-drizzy likes this
- lovedoe-xoxo reblogged this from officiallyobsessed
- afterhourfantasy likes this
- levitationn likes this
- rumagin likes this
- m-elowz likes this
- www-facebook-com-madgical likes this
- officiallyobsessed posted this